Biotechnology is a discipline that utilises living organisms to produce therapeutic drugs, diagnostics products and many other additional products that significantly benefit our society.
- Healthcare jobs: Biotechnology has led to the development of many antibiotics for the treatment of different infections and also to the development of several therapeutic vaccines for the prevention of many diseases. Therapeutics biomolecules are too complicated to chemically synthesise, as a result, are required to be mass-produced in living cells such as bacteria, yeast or mammalian cells. These cells are often genetically manipulated to produce useful medicines. An individual's DNA can also be screened to determine the existence of any altered sequences that could indicate a risk of certain cancers or the onset of certain adult diseases. Genetic testing has also been used in pre-natal screening.
- Forensic science jobs: DNA analysis is widely used in the forensic science sector for solving various criminal cases.
- Agricultural biotechnology jobs: Biotechnology is widely applied in agriculture to improve crop yield and to make plants more robust to environmental stress making them resistant to insects that damage and lower crop yield. Crops are engineered to make them naturally resistant to environmental pests which in turn benefits the environment with the use of fewer pesticides and herbicides. Biotechnology can also improve the nutritional value of food and improve its appearance and taste.
- Environmental science job: Biotechnologists use microorganisms in the treatment of sewage wastes and are also widely using them in cleaning the polluted environments such as oil spillages in the sea. The microbes metabolise various contaminants into harmless byproducts.
- Biotech manufacturing jobs: Biotechnology has been used for the production of biodegradable plastics, biofuels, high fructose corn syrup, alcohol, the sweetening agent for soft drinks, production of chemical utilising agricultural waste, and much more.
The biotech sector provides a great variety of career opportunities to qualified scientists. Most graduates enter the industry after completing a relevant degree in life sciences. Here is an article which could help you to explore biotech careers or look for what kind of jobs with a biotechnology degree you could get. If you are interested in gaining on hands on experience of various biotechnology techniques, then these two articles will come in handy for finding biotech internships in India and biotechnology internships in USA.